Thought I’d join in with the plethora of pumpkin recipes doing the rounds for Autumn! Here’s a lovely grain and dairy free pumpkin almond cake for you – who says cake can’t be healthy AND seasonal?
This recipe is from NHR Essential Oils – my fave essential oils make as many of you know. I thought it was a bit more interesting than most as it contains essential oil – a powerful and all-natural flavour and fragrance enhancer. You can make it without the oil, of course. I have actually been known to use their ginger oil to make a very gingery ginger cake.
Pumpkin Cake Recipe
200g Ground Almonds,
175g Virgin Coconut oil,
85g honey (light & mild),
1tspn ground clove,
1 1/2 tspn cinnamon,
1 1/2 tspn allspice,
2 level tbsn gluten free baking powder,
3 drops of NHR Organic Red Mandarin Essential Oil.
1. Cut the pumpkin into cubes and roast in a hot oven until cooked through. Allow to cool and sit for a few hours or over night to allow the juices to separate from the pumpkin. Discard the juices.
2. Melt and cool the NHR Organic virgin Coconut oil
3. Whisk the eggs til frothy and then add the 3 drops of NHR Organic Red Mandarin oil
4. Next add the honey and whisk again, and then add the coconut oil, whisking again
5. Add the spices and the baking powder to the ground almonds and mix through
6. Add the almond mix to the egg mixture stirring anti-clockwise as you go!
7. For the finale, add the pre-mashed pumpkin, gently mixing it in anti-clockwise
8. Pour the mixture into a lined loaf tin (you can divide into an individual muffin tin if you prefer but don’t forget to adjust the cooking time to about 25 minutes)
9. Place in to a pre-heated oven, gas 2/3, 160c for 40 minutes then cover with foil for the remainder 15mins or until cooked. Test with a skewer, it should come out clean. . . .
Mmmmm. . . . ready to enjoy!
Coming next: their delicious lemon drizzle cake using almonds and mashed potato!