Hot on the heels of the new Oral Microbiome (Oral Ecologix) test, here is the new vaginal version. The Vaginal Ecologix will be useful for women who have or are at risk of pregnancy and fertility issues, bacterial vaginosis, candida, pelvic inflammatory disorder and other vaginal problems. You can also add on a Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STI) profile which will look for chlamydia and herpes.
Here’s some info from the lab for you and a sample report.
The vaginal microbiome is a key ecosystem, which is host to over 200 species of microorganisms. Unlike other microbiota sites, the vagina is extremely dynamic and is affected by numerous host factors including age, ethnic background, sexual intercourse, changes in hormone levels during pregnancy, menstruation and menopause, genital infections and personal hygiene.
Small fluctuations in the vaginal microbiota can impact vaginal health significantly. The disruption of homeostasis, termed dysbiosis, has been linked to a multitude of conditions, including bacterial vaginosis (BV), miscarriages, preterm delivery, pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) and increased risk of sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
The Female EcologiX™ ProfileFor microbiota composition analysis, the technology [Elisa and PCR] detects:
- Abundance of four key Lactobacillus species (markers for vaginal health)
- Abundance of strictly anaerobic bacteria (associated with dysbiosis)
- Abundance of enteric bacteria including Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus (associated with aerobic vaginitis)
- Abundance of BV-associated bacteria including Gardnerella, Prevotella and Megasphaera speciesFor host biomarker analysis, the technology detects:
- IL-1β (pro-inflammatory cytokine)STI panel add-on:
- Presence of STI pathogen Chlamydia trachomatis
- Presence of STI viral pathogens herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1; oral herpes) and HSV-2 (genital herpes)Dependent on microbiota composition and host biomarkers, the profile will report three different states:
Healthy vaginal microbiota (homeostasis)
Vaginal dysbiosis (microbiota profile and/or host marker profile)
STI pathogen detected (STI panel add-on)