Hot on the heels of my 4 Top Tips for a Healthier New Year comes a really useful summary of the top 5 supplements nutritionists at Biocare would choose. Interestingly, they are not the normal stuff you would think of – but I know each one and recommend them heartily (although most are not suitable for the grain and dairy free TGF peeps, sadly, although check the master list for alternatives). It’s worth having a read of them – sometimes, we don’t know what’s available that could be helping us, I find!
I’ve linked each one for you so you can find them easily on ND as usual. If this is helpful, please make sure you use my name Micki Rose, so I get some small payment for the time it takes me to write these posts for you 🙂
We start off with the core of any supplement regime really – probiotics. Your microbiome, or gut balance, is so crucial to so many things including digestion, immunity and mood. It’s a no-brainer. You can read more on Probiotics here.
- Everyday BioAcidophilus – this live bacteria supplement contains 10 billion of the clinically-researched ‘LAB4’ combination per capsule, with two specific proprietary strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus along with Bifidobacterium bifidum and Bifidobacterium lactis. They come in convenient 7 day strips, with no need for refrigeration, which means you can take them on the go – they can sit in your bag, on your desk at work, and you can take them with you when you travel.
Next, a more unusual multivitamin and mineral – the emphasis here is on better methylation. Again, a crucial part of a healthy, functioning body and one that many people are not doing as efficiently as they might. Have a read here about whether you might need to methylate better. Many standard multis don’t have the active methylating forms of the B12 or folate whereas this one does, which is why I like it.
- Methyl Multinutrient – a superior, high potency multinutrient designed by experts. Methyl Multinutrient uses the most absorbable forms of nutrients that your body can easily use. It contains optimum levels of all key nutrients such as vitamins A and D to support your immune system, and B vitamins for energy production and brain function. Our MethylMultinutrient is suitable for vegetarians and vegans, and comes in a two a day capsule form, allowing you to split the dose and make it work for longer.
After sorting the gut and nutrient levels out, next we must make sure we are detoxing properly on a day to day basis. Doing your gene tests, I have noticed a LOT of people – especially those with chronic issues that are not resolving easily – are missing the glutathione gene so their detox capacity is not as good as it might be. This is a great formula and I recommend it a lot.
- Cysteine Complex – we live in an increasingly toxic world, from the air we breathe, to the food we eat, and the water we drink. Our Cysteine Complex is an up-to-date formulation providing N-Acetyl Cysteine, or ‘NAC’, providing the amino acid cysteine, which is a component of the powerful antioxidant glutathione, alongside molybdenum which is needed for sulphur metabolism. Cysteine Complex also provides naturally antioxidant-rich pomegranate extract, indole-3-carbinol and alpha lipoic acid, and the nutritional powerhouse that is broccoli sprouts. It comes in a two a day capsule form which allows you to split the dose if necessary, and take things at your own pace.
Next, the mind-body medicine part of health, which many people leave out to their detriment in my view (I learned that lesson!) Life can be stressful and sometimes we might need a little help to be more calm and less reactive to stuff that goes on. Stress is thought to be a part of about 80% of GP visits – I read that shocking statistic yesterday in the paper! This formula is a goodie, nice and gentle, but effective, especially if you’re not sleeping that well either.
- NT Complex – as wonderful as the festive season is, it can also be a stressful time for some of us and can impact various aspects of our health. Our NT Complex is a comprehensive and advanced nutrient combination with magnesium taurate to support the nervous system. It also contains theanine, lemon balm, lavender, and chamomile, which have been traditionally used for relaxation and healthy sleep, together with vitamin B6 which contributes to our hormone balance and a healthy nervous system. Two easy to swallow capsules means you can split the dose in the day for longer support or take the two in the evening to help you relax before sleep.
Finally, one of my all-time favourites – I’ve recommended this beauty for many, many years. It’s an adaptogen so is calming when you need it and energising when you need that. Great particularly if you have that ‘tired, but wired’ feeling. It is a mainstay of the Adrenal Plan protocol:
- AD 206 – Are you feeling tired and fatigued? AD 206 has been formulated to help you adapt better to the pressures of modern life. It is a unique combination, which contains vitamins B3, B6 and C, contributing to energy production and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue. These nutrients also support our nervous system, including the production of neurotransmitters. These nutrients also work in synergy with the Siberian Ginseng, licorice root, Gotu Kola, and apple extract to provide more comprehensive support.
Hope that helps – and thanks to Biocare for taking the time to do that useful post. If you need any help, just ask – s’what I’m here for 🙂