I have always hated wet wipes. Sure, they are convenient, but at what chemical cost, I have always thought? I have written before about the importance of keeping the skin barrier intact, especially in eczema cases, and now we have a study suggesting using baby wet wipes can damage that barrier and lead to food allergies, causing conditions like eczema and dermatitis.
The researchers say a combination of factors including skin barrier genetic weakness, use of barrier-damagers like the soap in wet wipes and exposure to dust and food allergens, say when Mum has just eaten some chocolate and then kisses baby, is: “a recipe for developing food allergy…It’s a major advance in our understanding of how food allergy starts early in life.”
Yet again, this may seem like a major advance, but many naturopaths have been saying this for years. I think I even first wrote about it in 2009! Check my article Thinny Skinnies for more on this and how to protect that all-important skin barrier, especially in such little ones.
The full study was published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.