Oh dear. More on lightbulb disposal. Didn’t everyone predict this one…?
Councils across the UK are refusing to pick up low-energy lightbulbs from homes as they contain toxic mercury, which gives off poisonous vapours.
But confused consumers are putting the new compact fluorescent lamps – classed as hazardous waste – in their dustbins when they burn out. Previously the public disposed of traditional light bulbs in the dustbin.
UNISON, who represent thousands of rubbish collectors said it is concerned at the risks binmen are facing. They said “Government is not doing enough to make people aware of the risks.”
Read the full Mail report below and see my other post about bulb guidelines.
- ‘We will not pick up toxic new bulbs’: Councils say energy-saving lights are too dangerous for binmen (dailymail.co.uk)
- Mercury Lightbulb Guidelines (mickirose.wordpress.com)