You often get such rubbish come through with these round-robin type messages that circulate on the internet. Usually I don’t even bother to look at them. I must have needed this one, though, as I opened it and thought it was a little gem.
Haven’t you always wanted to know now what you know you’re going to learn later and wish you’d known earlier, er, if you get what I mean? Well, here is one take on it from a 90 year old woman called Regina Brett in Ohio, who wrote them on a blog to celebrate getting older. I thought it was lovely and a lot of it so true. Don’t do what you usually do and skim through these; there are some real nuggets of wisdom here. Read and think about each one. Ask yourself how you might be able to apply that advice to your own life and then ACT on it! I hope they make you smile, nod, reflect and change at least one thing…
1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and parents will. Stay in touch.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don’t have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
8. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
9. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
10. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
11. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
12. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
13. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
14. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
15. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
16. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.
17. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
18. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
19. Over prepare, then go with the flow.
20. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
21. The most important sex organ is the brain.
22. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
23. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ”In five years, will this matter?”
24. Always choose life.
25. Forgive everyone everything.
26. What other people think of you is none of your business.
27. Time heals almost everything. Give time, time.
28. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
29. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
30. Believe in miracles.
31. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
32. Growing old beats the alternative — dying young.
33. Your children get only one childhood.
34. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
35. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
36. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours back.
37. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
38. The best is yet to come.
39. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
41. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.